Disinfection and cleaning of households are necessary to prevent the Coronavirus also in cases where the Persons Under Investigation (PUI) or the people who have been confirmed with the virus. You must first understand these terms to understand the precautions carefully.
- Cleaning- this process refers to the removal of impurities, dirt, and germs from surfaces. Cleaning does not eliminate bacteria; it is only to lower the number and reduce the risk of infection.
- Disinfecting- this term refers to the killing of germs from surfaces. This process does not necessarily kill all the bacteria but can further reduce the spreading of infection when implemented after the cleaning.
All the members of a neighborhood should practice frequent cleaning of their household surfaces such as the tables, sofa, beds, doorknobs, light switches, sinks, and so on using household cleaners followed by disinfectants that are EPA registered. It would be best if you took the necessary precautions first, such as making sure you are wearing gloves and good ventilation.
How to carry out the cleaning and disinfecting process:
Wear disposable gloves that must be discarded after the cleaning process, and they must not be used for any other purposes.
For dirty surfaces
- If you have dirty surfaces, they must first be washed with detergent or soap before you start the disinfection process.
- To carry out the disinfection process, the bleach solutions must be diluted with at least 70% alcohol for the disinfectants to be effective.
- You can prepare a bleach solution by mixing 4 teaspoons of bleach per quart of water, or by adding five teaspoons of bleach per gallon of water.
- You can also use Hydrogen Peroxide as an alternative to bleaching powder to clean the sinks, toilets, counterpart, and so on.
For soft surfaces
- For soft surfaces, such as rugs and drapes, you must first remove the visible contamination. After the cleaning process, try putting them into the laundry at appropriate warmer settings, which is suitable for porous surfaces.
For countertops, mattresses, and tables
- Areas around your house like your couch and carpet cannot be wiped down; thus, a disinfectant spray must be used to prevent any viruses.
- The spray can also be used for countertops, mattresses, and tables. You must circularly spray them and allow them to dry before sitting down.
As the emergence of COVID-19 as a pandemic, we must take the necessary preventive measures, to be safe and live in a secure environment.